Safe Feed......

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicken-wish, Feb 2, 2012.

1. chicken-wish

chicken-wish Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    This seems like a unique question I guess, but does any one know much about GMO's in chicken feed? If so how could someone avoid GMO's in thier feed without going to the expensive organic feeds, and still maintain the nutrients the birds would need? I'm planning on raising chickens for pets, eggs and some meat, but would like to avoid hindering health in our chickens and ourselves if possible. I understand that there may not be any perfect solution for this, but I would like to see what possabilties there are to help. I hope I don't seem paranoid, [​IMG] I'm just looking for the very best I can in feed quality for my chickens with out going broke. [​IMG]

2. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I would wager that most, if not all, of the mainstream feed is GMO. You would likely have to go organic to avoid it for certain. You could also learn to mix your own, but you'll have to find a source for non-GMO grains, and that might be tough.

3. chicken-wish

Jan 27, 2012

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, I guess I'll just do what I can leave it at that. Organic is expensive, but I'll have enough kitchen scraps each day to help too. Thank you so much KBlue.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I'm not sure you'd avoid GMOs even in organic feed. You'd have to ask the company.

GMO free feed is tough to find. We order our Thanksgiving turkey from a small farm in Maine every year. They are able to get GMO free feed, but they have to get it from Canada.

5. justafeedboy

justafeedboy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    in my own little world
    you do avoid gmo's when you use organic feed. I have called the supplier asked that very question. Can not contain gmo's if it is organic.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Makes me wish I could afford organic feed. But at $30+ a bag, I just can't.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What I do is buy organic cracked corn and use conventional everything else (see my BYC page if you are interested). I do buy some organic layer or starter as a treat (and I start my chicks on organic starter).

8. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We buy our organic feed through Azure, $22.80 for a 40lb is what we paid last month. We only have 5 hens, and one bag lasts just over a month. When we add to our flock this spring I don't know if we will be able to stay with the organic feed.

9. chicken-wish

Jan 27, 2012
    I'm sure I'll end up just feeding as much organic anything that I can afford and the rest will be regular, at those prices it will tough to keep it tottaly organic. I like the advice and the information givin here, thank you so much! [​IMG]

I can't remember where I heard this (or read it), but I was wondering if it's true that if a chicken(s) is fed organic feed at any point it will always prefer it over regular feeds? I thought that was interesting. Has anybody heard of this?

10. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Chickens will eat anything you give them.

If you have enough land and supply them with plenty of oystershell, you can grow the main portion of their food. Especially if you're just going to have a small amount of hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by