Safe-Guard Canine Wormer- dosage for hens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GoldenPeep, Dec 14, 2016.

1. GoldenPeep

GoldenPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    The only Safe-Guard wormer they had at my local store was for dogs. Each 2-gram envelope says it has Fenbendazole granules 22.2% (222mg/g), which I presume means each envelope has 444mgs of Fenbendazole. It is meant to be mixed with food, not water. So what would a dose for one bird be? I'm only doing two hens right now.

Thanks

2. GoldenPeep

GoldenPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    Can anyone help? I ended up giving about 1/6 of a package per hen, which, if I calculated right, is 74mg each. Is this enough? Too much? Also, for dogs it says to repeat the dose for three days. Should I repeat it for the girls?

3. chickens really

chickens really True BYC Addict

I do not believe Dog wormer is safe for Chickens........I have never wormed a bird in all my years of having Birds.........Did they have worms?.....

Cheers!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most people use the fenbendazole (Panacur, SafeGuard) 10% equine paste or the liquid goat wormer for chickens. Dosage of those is 0.25 ml per pound of weight, given for 3-5 days in a row, depending on which worms are present. I am not a math wiz to convert what you have to the equine wormer, so here is a chart showing how many mg per grams in the equine paste: https://valleyvet.naccvp.com/product/view/basic/1047394?u=country&p=msds

1 person likes this.
  5. sezua

sezua Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2014
    Texas
    Hi there, i'm a little confused about the dosage of safeguard because there's another post that says to give it like Valbezeb one dose wait 10 days and dose again. Can you please clarify which is correct or am I supposed to use safeguard three days in a row and do I still repeat in 10 days if that's the case?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by