1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

safe list of foods for ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lorihadams, Aug 31, 2009.

1. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    Does anyone know where I can get a safe list of foods for ducks?

I have 10 runner ducklings and I would like to know what are good supplement foods for them. I am feeding chick starter now and I just gave them some oatmeal with some clover mixed in and they loved it.

I know they need extra niacin but I cannot find brewer's yeast anywhere. What else can I use to get them extra niacin?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    For niacin, you can take niacin capsules from the pharmacy and just break them open in their drinking water. Just be careful about dosage, though--I don't remember the recommendation off-hand, but if you need it I can look it up and post again. You don't want to overdose.

My ducklings always love bugs--crickets and meal worms from the pet store are HUGE hits. The clover is a great idea--try dropping it in their water, where it will stay fresh for hours and they'll enjoy dabbling for it. Lots of bugs & greens can make up for the niacin deficiency in the feed.

Also, once they are big enough, they will enjoy regular outings where they can forage for some of their own feed. Foraging also helps offset any nutritional imbalances in their feed.

Edited to add: They also love soft fruits--strawberries, melon, berries, etc.--just be careful to give it in moderation.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  4. lorihadams

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    I was wondering about the niacin capsules. I saw some at the store yesterday and almost picked some up but wasn't sure about the dosage so I put them back. I gave them some chopped dandelion greens yesterday and they were VERY happy about that!

I just want to make sure that they are happy and healthy and have no nutritional deficiencies. We have to buy crickets for some of our other critters so maybe I will get some extra next time for them.

Thanks! If you can tell me the dosage for the niacin capsules that would be wonderful!

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Here you go:

100-150 mg niacin (crushed tablet or opened gel cap) per gallon until they are 8 - 10 weeks old

[​IMG]

6. lorihadams

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    Thank you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by