1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

safe outdoor temp for 5 week olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by florida lee, May 16, 2011.

1. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I have been putting my 5 and 6 week olds out during the day, temp has been in the mid to high 90's. However , now a cold front has come thru and day time temps are in the mid 60's. Is this temp safe for them ? They would be caged, not free roaming. Back in the shed at night.
    Last night it got down to 59, left them in the shed brooder box with a 100 watt light, temp in the brooder box was only about 79. But they did fine. But I'm worried about temp in the 60's out side and a breeze. They are not quite fully feathered.
    I hate leaving them in the brooder box during the day as they are getting too big for it. At night they seem to be fine, I turn out the light and not a sound from them. In the morning I turn on the lights in the shed and they jump up and start eating/drinking and then appear to be waiting for me to carry out to the outside box. they allow me to pick them up, no fussing and carry them to the outside box,,,they really seem to like it out there. In the evening they are the same, seem to like to be taken back to the indoor box, ready to sleep. I think they wear themselves out during the day in the outside box.

2. banananutmuffin

banananutmuffin Out Of The Brooder

I'm a newbie, but I put my 5 weeks old outside yesterday. They st ayed out all night. It's a high of mid-upper 60s here, and a low of mid 40s. They don't seem cold.

3. BuffsareBad

BuffsareBad Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Mine will be 5 weeks old tomorrow, struggling if I should put them out or wait another week or so. Right now upper 70s in the day and lower 60s at night

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

My 5 week old chicks went out to the barn. Our highs were 50 and lows in the 30s. I left a small wattage light on for them for a few more nights. Temps rose to daytime 60 and lows around 40. They've been just fine and are now feisty 8 week old teens. Chickens are feathered and they buddy up. I wouldn't worry about your temps whatsoever.

5. CheekyChooks

CheekyChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    Mine have been outside all week, lows of 60 ... I added a small hot water bottle wrapped in a towel into the coop incase they got a little chilly. I find the smaller ones are happy to lie on it and the bigger ones snuggle up to them around it. Very sweet. They don't seem cold.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:This is what they're used to, and I suspect they are more interested in sleep than the brooder box. And they may fuss when left out for the whole night at first. Chickens don't like change -- but they do adjust. They'll be fine outside.

7. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    We keep our house cool (59 last night). My five week old silkies have been without heat for the last week. Just them in their brooder kept it about 65 in there. They never huddle. Today they went to their coop with a 60 watt bulb. It's 72 in there right now and insulated. Our lows have been upper 30s - low 40s. Highs in the mid 50s - mid 60s. Supposed to be sunny and 60s next couple days before the rain continues. I'm not worried about them at all. They only fuss because they want back in their old home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by