Safe paint for chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by littlechick1005, Jan 29, 2013.

1. littlechick1005

littlechick1005 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Maine
    I would like to spruce up my hen stall and am wondering what would be considered safe paint?

2. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

im not sure what paint is safe but defiantly avoid red. they are attracted to red and will end up pecking at it.

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    OH NOOOOOOOO!

[​IMG]

4. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do your chickens pick at the paint

5. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Not at all. Coop has been that color for over 3yrs.
    Jack

6. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    What a nice looking coop! I was thinking of staining mine with Cabot's Barn Red (Solid), so I would be interested in what is considered "safe" also.

Jim

7. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I used Lowe's regular "Porch and deck" paint. White for the interior, and Red/white outside. The red is holding up good, gonna have to repaint the trim this year.
    Jack

8. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    I just read that chickens have better eye sight than humans.

And, this made me laugh. Perhaps painting the coop red isn't such a bad idea afterall.

What happens when chickens see red?
    A company* that markets red contact lenses for chickens (at 20 cents a pair), points to medical studies showing that chickens wearing red-tinted contact lenses behave differently from birds that don't. They eat less, produce more and don't fight as much. This decreases aggressive tendencies and birds are less likely to peck at each other causing injury. A spokesman said the lenses will improve world egg-laying productivity by $600 million a year.
    (Perhaps everything looks red and they cannot distinguish combs, wattles, or blood. Or ...perhaps the chickens are happier because they're viewing the world through rose colored glasses.)

9. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Thanks, Jack. Nice sun room they have on the front on what looks like a cold winter day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by