Safe plant list.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by teresac, Apr 12, 2009.

1. teresac

teresac Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Blairsville, GA
    Does anyone know where to find a list of safe plants for chicks. I tried a search here but couldn't find it. I thought I saw a list once but could not find it.

I want to do some plantings around their run. Thank you!!

Happy Easter:bun

2. DixieDame67

DixieDame67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Jonesbourgh Tennessee
  3. Ashley80

Ashley80 Out Of The Brooder

Wow, thats a massive list! Including apples! There is an apple tree in the midle of the run we're building (I was just going to put chick wire around it) are they really toxic?

Ashley

4. DixieDame67

DixieDame67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Jonesbourgh Tennessee
    as i went back to look myself , it says the apple seeds and plant, so maybe you shouldn't put chics around the tree it's self, i give apples sometimes as treats but i have noticed, there not wild about them....it is a massive list isn't it, I try to bookmark all the info i can ....so far been pretty successful with my chickens, there like my featherd children lol [​IMG]

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Here's a "safe plants" list from UCDavis. These are plants that you would be more likely to find in a yard in landscaping.

The information is for human safety but as these agricultural scientists say, if it is toxic to human - it's probably toxic to other animals.

You can find the toxic list from the link at the bottom of the page.

Steve

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My chickens find fallen apples and peaches from our orchard all season long and no problem.
    A year of free ranging on 80 acres and they've yet to poison themselves. They know what is safe to eat and what's not.

7. Ashley80

Ashley80 Out Of The Brooder

I think i'll just chicken wire the apple tree and risk it. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by