Safe plants for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by littlechick1005, Jan 31, 2013.

1. littlechick1005

littlechick1005 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Maine
    I would like to plant some plants around the chicken pen this coming spring...what can I plant?

2. MissChris

MissChris Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. littlechick1005

littlechick1005 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Maine
    Perfect! Thank you. Im curious though, we have some of the poisonous plants around the farm, like ruhbarb and buttercups...do they avoid them?

4. MissChris

MissChris Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2012
    I'm not sure if they will avoid them, as I don't have a lot of experience in this area myself. I did a little more looking around, and found some more info. Based on several articles I found, it seems that, as long as there are enough safe things for them to eat, they might take a nibble of something that's not good for them, but after a taste they seem to know to leave it alone. It appears that it's important for there to be enough good stuff for them to nibble on, so that they'll be more apt to leave alone the bad stuff, and probably a good idea to have chicken feed available at all times, too.

Here's a link I found to another post on this site with some more info https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-that-chickens-who-free-range-should-not-eat

5. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I believe that the chickens will not eat the bad plants, if there is enough choice for them otherwise.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by