Safe plants for ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Madeleinepb, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Madeleinepb

Madeleinepb Chirping

Oct 23, 2016
    Poulsbo, WA
    My dad built my ducks habitat for me. Its 30ft x 10ft. I want to plant safe plants in their habitat. So far I have planted strawberries, pea plants, lettuce, mustard greens, and spring mix and grass. I’m wondering about any safe climbing plants we can put on the outside of their habitat. I heard grapes are safe for ducks. Does any know any safe climbing plants for ducks?

2. cleoandtheflock

cleoandtheflock Songster

Jan 16, 2019
    Georgia
  3. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    wow, that's a really cool idea. The only thing I can think of right now is sweet potato plants, they love to climb and have leaves that are real yummy but they love hot weather and I'm not sure Washington has that.

4. katiebrock

katiebrock Songster

Apr 7, 2019
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    I have some sweet potato vines in hanging bags on my fence posts right now and the lowest ones have mysteriously disappeared! ;)

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Haha, so now you know. Did you know they are supposed to be good for people to eat too? I sauteed some up last year and wasn't impressed. I'd rather give them to the ducks and eat the actual potatoes!

Jpat likes this.
  6. katiebrock

katiebrock Songster

Apr 7, 2019
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    :idunno:idunno
    No, I didn’t! I also didn’t know they actually grew potatoes, I just thought they were ornamental

7. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    My ducks love to eat Peppermint plants. - I like to drink fresh Peppermint tea, so we had to find a compromise: I fenced in the peppermint patch and the ducks can have everything that grows through the fence.

ketojenn and LilyLoo like this.
  8. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Yup, I grow them in a big bin near the duck run. I dump all the ducky yucky water into the bin of sweet potatoes every night when I clean their water buckets. Last year I had a whole wheel barrow full of potatoes in the fall. It was awesome. They lasted me all winter. I made pies, lots of pies! I really prefer them over white potatoes so I was in hog heaven! butter, cinnamon, sugar, oh my!

9. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    IMG_6658.JPG fullsizeoutput_32be.jpeg

katiebrock, Miss Lydia and LilyLoo like this.
  10. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: