Safe plants for the duck run

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cburns407, Apr 29, 2017.

1. cburns407

cburns407 Just Hatched

Apr 28, 2014
    I am designing my chicken and duck run with some major improvements. It will be 12' longer than it is now, duck pool raised so I can drain it easier, "salad boxes", dust baths for the chickens along with other toys/enrichment for all fowl. I want to add a bunch of plants. I live in town and would like to make a "noise barrier" as 3 of my ducks are loud at times and a few chickens sing the egg song on full blast. I will also be planting to provide cover from the sun, privacy from the yards behind us and to add some color.

What plants do you recommend that is safe for both chickens and ducks and would be a great addition to the run??

I will be adding a willow tree by the pool, butterfly bushes and tall grass ( if safe) but need more options.
    Thank you all

1 person likes this.
  2. Duckymomlol

Duckymomlol Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    I've got some blueberry bushes that mine love.
    Bushy evergreens would be excellent sound barriers.
    Sunflowers, grape vines, zucchini, herbs, hibiscus are always stunning and safe for just about everything to eat. What zone are you in I guess would be a better question. I don't want to suggest stuff that won't survive

3. Duckymomlol

Duckymomlol Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas

There is also some awesome lists of safe plants for ducks on google

4. DesertDucks

DesertDucks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2017
    I have been trying to look this up as well. Does any one know if would be ok to leave my peach tree in their run? It provides nice shade (it gets hot here!) But I don't know if it would be bad if a fruit dropped and the duck got ahold of it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by