Safe quail coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TallHound, Jul 1, 2011.

1. TallHound

TallHound Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    I am looking to build a coop for my button quail. I need something off the ground and coon proof. I'm also concerned about the flooring. This is my first quail and I'm not sure what is best for his feet. I would love to hear from anyone about their best quail setups.

Thanks

2. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I am new to quail too, and I will be trying to hatch coturnix quail! But Button quail will die in the cold. I think temps below 60-70 will kill them, thats why most people keep them in a fish tank in their house. I dont know much about buttons you can check the quail forum.

3. TallHound

Apr 22, 2011
    He is an indoor bird but the weather is beautiful and I'm sure he would enjoy the outside at 70 - 85 degrees. I have been sitting him out in his indoor cage, but it is difficult to move every time. I just cant watch him constantly and his indoor cage could be shredded by a coon or dog.
    Thanks for responding.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

why not build a small open floored chicken tractor out of 1x2 welded wire that is skirted (to fill in the ground height difference and topped) Then you can simply roll outside when the weather is nice and in on a old piece of carpet for cold days?

5. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok I raise Jumbo Coturnix Quail. I have 4 pens right now I keep sets of 3 females and 1 male in each. Use hardware cloth and put 1 1"x4" board across the middle so they can get off the wire if they need a break, most of the time they are on the wire. Mine are 3'x2' and 2' tall. They got plenty room even though mine are big. Mine hang off the ground in a metal barn about to my chest/head level. In the wintertime I use a heat lamps to keep water thawed. I have not lost any quail due to cold weather, even though it was bad this year in Virginia. I would probly keep Button Quail in a fish tank. They are small and easy to handle inside. My Jumbo Coturnix are like soft balls at full size, if not larger.

6. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    rabbit hutches work wonders for quail [​IMG]

7. TallHound

Apr 22, 2011
    Sounds like some good Ideas.
    snyd08, hutch idea was along the idea i had. And the fact that Happy Chicken Lover has theirs are on wire makes me feel a little more comfortable. I wasn't sure you could actually keep quail on wire. This quail was basicly brought home because I didn't like the way it was being care for. I actually prefer the larger quails, but didn't realize at the time he would remain soo small. He is adorable though. I would like to put him on the actual ground as bryan suggested, but we have so many snakes on our place you can't walk out without seeing at least a dozen or so. I wouldn't want to put him in harms way.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!!

8. HappyChickenLover

[​IMG]

9. TallHound

Apr 22, 2011
    Quote:Thanks for the pic. Those are huge next to my boy. Very nice.[​IMG]

10. HappyChickenLover

Well like I said these are jumbo, they are great eating. They carry alot of dark meat, lay everyday, and raise out to maturity in 8 weeks. If you get too many eggs you can pickle them they are about a inche by 3/4 inch and easy to fit in your mouth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by