Safe spray to kill aphids around my chicken coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RickysChick, Jun 24, 2011.

1. RickysChick

RickysChick New Egg

Oct 3, 2008
    I have a chokecherry tree in the middle of my chicken pen for shade. this year it is loaded with wooly aphids, leaves are curling badly. What can I safely spray the tree with that I do not have to worry about run off from the leaves or if dew/rain causes leave to drip it will not hurt the girls? Appreciate any help.

2. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I believe organocide would be safe around birds.

3. RickysChick

RickysChick New Egg

Oct 3, 2008
    Thank you I looked it up. Great uses may be just what I need so I called the all the plant nurseries and a lawn/chemical (carries organic & chemicals) and No one handles it here in SD. Any other suggestions? thank you for taking the time.

4. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    I use seven liquid spray on my fruit trees just outside my coop. I don't let re girls out to freerange until the spray is dry. I figure if people use the dust for mite control the liquid shouldn't hurt them either when dry.

5. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Simple Green.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Neem oil based spray.

7. RickysChick

RickysChick New Egg

Oct 3, 2008
    thank you. I use sevin to dust the girls and their nests, but was a little concerned about any residue from dripping or if dew/rain would cause leaves to drip. I will spray and keep them out of that pen until all is dry. thank you Both for you advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by