1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Safe table scraps?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Farias1124, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Farias1124

Farias1124 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2013
    Roy, Washington
    What are some safe table scraps for a flock? Also what are dangerous scraps? Thanks!

Brian

2. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Anything you would eat that isn't onions or citrus.

As far as you worrying about accidentally poisoning you chickens, as long as you present them choice they you can trust your birds to not eat things they shouldn't.

Just don't let them gorge on one thing in high quantities that is safe to eat, but can get softened and compacted in their digestive tract. Like cooked beans.

3. Farias1124

Farias1124 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2013
    Roy, Washington
    Are chickens "allergic" to anything?

4. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Not that I've heard of but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Though allergies are specific to a particular animal and not an entire species.

5. YNOT2K

YNOT2K Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    Granite Falls, WA
    Avocados are not good for chickens. Actually, anything with acid - like citrus fruits.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not exactly true. Most fruits are high in acid and folks always say not to feed citrus, but never say not to feed apples, and they're the same acidity, give or take. My birds eat apples, and citrus for that matter.

Chickens are omnivores, and eat a huge variety of foods happily. Pretty much anything that's healthy for you to eat is safe for your birds.

7. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Avocado skin and pits are no good, the flesh is perfectly fine...

Raw potato skins (especially if they have a green color) are no good and should fully be avoided, best to cook potatoes, sweet potatoes skin and all are fine raw or cooked...

You should make an attempt to avoid onions and garlic, but in moderation they are not harmful but might effect egg flavor, so if you cook with onions or garlic don't worry about feeding that to the chickens, just don't toss them a 5lb bag of onions...

No chocolate...

Raw or even medium cooked or less meats should be avoided so they don't develop a taste for blood and turn to cannibalism...

Processed foods in small moderation only, probably best to avoid...

And also avoid greasy foods...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by