1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Safe to "broody hatch" in Oklahoma late fall??

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Feathers, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Happy Feathers

Happy Feathers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2014
    East Podunk, OK
    Is it OK to let a broody hatch some eggs this late in the year? I have a big/young Black Australorp hen trying to go broody. She is just about 7 months old and part of a 10 hen + 1 roo flock. They have a large fully enclosed coop, a big run, and huge backyard. I took all the eggs under her today, but started wondering if chicks could be safely raised this time of year. It is finally starting to cool down and winter is on the way.

If she stays broody I would let her hatch and raise the chicks. I've read all I can find on the pros and cons of separation from the flock and think the easiest integration is the natural way. What I couldn't find was much information on time of year for broodies and babys. I sure would appreciate a little insight from some of you more experienced chicken lovers. If ya'll think it's a good idea let me know ASAP and I can mark the eggs, (inside at room temp, laid today), and put them back under her tonight.

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    She should keep the chicks warm and do fine with them if she's a good broody. We once had a cold snap just as they were hatching, and had 2 day old chicks out 40 degree weather for several days. They would scratch around for a couple of minutes, then run back under mama to warm up. Rinse and repeat. Turned out fine.

3. Happy Feathers

Happy Feathers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2014
    East Podunk, OK
    Thanks for the encouragement Judy. I gave her 4 eggs to keep her happy, well marked thank goodness. It seems some of the other girls are taking advantage of the brief time she's out of the nest box and leave another egg or two! Fingers crossed [​IMG] that all goes well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by