Safe to build a run under my AC?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rin, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    I live in a mobile home and I have a raised AC unit on a large wooden frame. When I ranged my chickens they LOVED roosting under the AC unit as the sounds deterred wildlife from approaching but now I want to better enclose them since we've been having stray dog issues which cost me about 10 birds. I want to build off my existing coop and mini-run but the only feasible way I can see giving them enough room is to convert the bottom of my AC into a run. Below are images of the setup;

[​IMG]
    this is the gap between the ac framework and the existing mini-run. I will be sinking a short 4x4 post in line with the farthest post of the run but also in line with the two taller 4x4s of the AC unit bt also an angled door at the front so I can gain access to this entire area for cleaning.

[​IMG]
    Is the entire AC framework. The roof is completely solid and even has a ledge where I can store things. The back end has a big enough gap the ac can be accessed easily and the gap between run and home can be easily cleaned up. The idea is to completely wire off the gaps with HW cloth but to put two big doors on the bottom gaps for full access.

My main concern is would putting something like this beneath an ac unit be detrimental to my health? It is at the top just before a slope. I also intend to throw down pine flakes or pea gravel whichever might be best for this sort of setup. Whole run is easily accessed by a hose and rake if my mental image is correct.

2. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    My only concern would be....

Does the water pipe properly take care of all the moisture that comes from the AC? Any Additional moisture is bad but other than that I don't see any problems.

3. Rin

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Quote:As far as I know it does. Its a very new AC unit(only a yr old) it's why the platform is so massive, the old one was taken down but the new one needed to be bolted more that way so they could create a cover for the air ducts. I've yet to see any leaks though there is a slight bit of condensation in the summer (but not a huge surprise when it rains here daily) It never leaks through the "roof" though. Just at the most towards the front might drip a few times when she starts up in the morning (like you can probably see it in this picture the slight bit of wetness to the wood about a foot before the pipe). But I'm not too concerned about that because everything does that in the morning here. It's not strictly due to my ac unit and dries up completely around noon.

4. pimachickens

pimachickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Tucson
    When you asked if it would be "detrimental to your health", does that mean concerns for air quality? If the concern is that the chicken dust would be pulled through the unit and into the house, than I wouldn't worry. I can't tell from the pictures if this is a window unit or central air, but either way you should be fine. It is my understanding that the way the window a/c works is by pulling hot air from the house and running it across the condensor coil and refrigerant. Cool air is returned to the house, and the heat is expelled to the outside. With a central air system, there is a refrigerant coil inside as part of the furnace. Air is sucked from the warm air returns in the house, over the coil and cool air is piped through the vents. So with either system, you are basically drawing on the air that is already in your house, not air from the outside.

Not sure if that was even your question...sorry if it wasn't. [​IMG]

5. Rin

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Quote:Jackpot. Thank you. It was. [​IMG] I wasn't sure if having birds crapping right there was a bad idea or not but woot. Good to know good to know :>)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by