Safe to eat a soft shell layer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Daisymay, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Daisymay

Daisymay Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    One of our hens has been laying soft shelled eggs for a few months now. We offer oyster shell, egg shell, and layer pellets. All five hens free range and are offered the same things. DH thinks we ought to cull and eat her so I haven't tried antibiotics for obvious reasons.
    I have never culled or processed a chicken but have culled other pets when they were sick, but we didn't eat them since they were A) sick and B) puppies, hedgehogs, etc.
    My concerns over this bird is not so much should we cull her but should we eat her.

What do ya'll think?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I see no reason not to process her and eat her...she does not have a disease from laying soft shells...its a reproduction glitch in my opinion...

3. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    How old is she? There is nothing wrong with eating her, but I wouldn't until she had a chance to molt the first time and rest awhile. If she is still laying soft shells after a molt and a rest, then I would eat her.

4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Quote::eek: What!? You missed out on your chance to try hedgehog pie? For shame.....I hear this is a southern delicacy..

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. oldegger

oldegger Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Monclova, OH
    Quote::eek: What!? You missed out on your chance to try hedgehog pie? For shame.....I hear this is a southern delicacy..

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Everything is a southern delicacy from where your sitting [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by