1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Safe to eat eggs????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bocephus745, Oct 12, 2016.

1. bocephus745

bocephus745 New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    Back in July I put down preen (weed preventer) in my mulch. In Sept, I allowed my chickens to free range. Obviously they like to scratch and dust in the mulch. Do you think it's safe to eat the eggs? I'm guessing the preen is gone but I'm new to chickens and I dont know if something like this could transfer to the eggs and contaminate them. Thanks

2. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    You should be fine for good enough time has lapse since your treatment. Oh and ........

[​IMG] from NE Kansas!!

3. twilightgecko

twilightgecko Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    New York
    allowing the chickens access to hardwood charcoal helps with toxins in their bodies too.. they eat it if they need it..

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

I would think that the Preen is out of there by now... Especially if you've had rains to help wash it off. In the future, I would suggest not putting chemicals where you plan on letting your chickens range. Just my personal preference.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I wonder what the chemical in Preen is?
    I'd find out and research it some.

But over all, I agree with bobbi-j.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by