Safe to eat eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Studio2770, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    One of our pullets walks backwards funny only after she is packed with dirt from a dirt bath. She's getting close to laying. My mom doesn't want her eggs, I'm willing to take the risk, if there is any. I washed the first egg I ate from our chickens, but then decided not to wash the second I ate, then left every egg after unwashed. I'm still fine. Back to the topic, Sophie only walks backwards when full of dirt, she's fine the rest of the time. She walks like this.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Hmm if she were mine I'd give vitamins to her, especially vitamin e and selenium, and the B vitamins- just to see if it helped. I don't know dosages but there are threads on BYC where people talk about them.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  3. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    Are the eggs safe to eat?

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    There didn't appear to be anything wrong with that backwards-walking chicken in the video, and I see no reason why the eggs wouldn't be safe to eat. I also don't see any reason to pump them full of vitamins, but that's another subject entirely. I suppose there's a remote possibility that she has some neurological thing going on, but if she only does it after dust-bathing, it's also possible she just doesn't like the feeling of being full of dirt. Either way, it wouldn't harm the eggs. The only reason I wouldn't eat eggs from my hens is if they were fed some sort of medicine or other chemical. Those things can be passed into the eggs. I don't worm my chickens and they don't have access to any other chemicals, so that is not an issue. Eat the eggs. Enjoy them!

1 person likes this.
  5. lcahill

lcahill Chillin' With My Peeps

X2

6. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    I thought so, hopefully I can convince her the eggs will be fine. Sophie does squat, so that's a plus. Hopefully she'll lay just fine. I've considered vitamins but just seeing how she only does that when full of dirt doesn't convince me she's a defective chicken.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by