1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Safe to eat eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hikerfrog99, Mar 1, 2014.

1. hikerfrog99

hikerfrog99 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    My hens were on bacterial medicine last Friday and finished this past Tuesday. I would like to know when it will be safe to eat their eggs. Its such a shame that they are going to waste :(

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It depends on which antibiotic they were on. What drug was used? Some antibiotics aren't supposed to be used on egglayers, so manufacterers cannot give a withdrawal time. Most of the time this has to do with causing allergic reactions in people eating the eggs, or even more important, causing antibiotic resistance.

3. hikerfrog99

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    I can't remember the name of it off hand. Its in the shed. It was a yellow powder and for a bacterial infection but it didn't state on the package how long not to eat them. It just said treat 3-5 days and do not consume the eggs.

4. hikerfrog99

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    We don't even know if one of them had one. I went to the feed store because one of them had a pasty butt and loose stool. I treated them all but she still has a pasty butt and loose blackish stool. Its aggravating not knowing what this is.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Were they on Corid for coccidiosis or an antibiotic? There is no withdrawal for Corid because it is not an antibiotic.

6. hikerfrog99

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    No it was an antibiotic. I went in the feed store and asked about watery clear diarrhea and they gave me this packet. She now has blackish loose stool but no signs of illness. She is acting completely normal and I don't see anything out of the ordinary except the stool.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Enteritis can cause dark brown runny stools.

8. hikerfrog99

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    I just looked at the meds. It is called Duramycin.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I know you didn't ask about the dose, but here it is just in case:

http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf

• 400mg dose = 1/2 Tbsp (1 oz.) per gallon of water
    • 800mg dose = 1 Tbsp (2 oz.) per gallon of water

-Kathy

10. hikerfrog99

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    Thank you Kathy. She is doing much better today. I also gave them a mix of garlic, cayenne pepper, and yogurt. They loved it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by