I bought two grape plants, one of which I planned on putting in the chicken's very small chicken yard (part of the larger yard that they're only allowed in when I'm out there, because otherwise they'd decimate the gardens), so the big grape leaves would grow up and shade the pen. They're only in the pen at night (secure), or when they want to gabble underneath the hen house in it. Would the pathogens in chicken poop mean that we wouldn't be able to eat the grapes from the plant that is in the yard, even though I'd put chicken wire around it, of necessity, because otherwise it wouldn't survive long enough to bear grapes! Any thoughts about eating grapes from a plant where the snow and rain have leached out lots of chicken poop? I do clean it up almost every day, but of course you can't get everything -- and the poop is definitely in a greater ratio than any from wild birds would be . . . . Thanks -- I lurk on this site all the time, and I've definitely learned a lot from everyone!