Safe to eat the eggs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by drlucchesi, Dec 17, 2012.

1. drlucchesi

drlucchesi New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    I just bought two new Americauna laying hens to introduce to my flock of 4 others. The woman I bought them from recommended giving my entire flock medicated chick starter for a week or two after introducing them. However, she said not to eat the eggs during this period for risk of consuming the "medicine".

I saw another thread specific to a different medicated chick stater that talked very specifically about the active ingredient, with the consensus being that the eggs were safe to eat. However, I am giving them the Manna Pro Medicated Chick Starter. Does anyone know with confidence if the eggs are safe to eat?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Why would you give a laying hen starter feed??? Ive never heard of this.

3. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    You want to read up here on the forum about quarantining.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I would just keep them on layers feed.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Manna Pro Chick Starter (Medicated) uses Amprolium as a active ingredient, and it mimics thiamine which is needed for reproduction and normal growth of coccidia.
    Amprolium has no withdraw for Meat or Eggs.

Note -- Amprolium also goes by the trade names Corid, Amprovine, and Amprol

Chris

6. rikithemonk

rikithemonk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    Any time you introduce foreign birds to your flock you introduce disease. Its not uncommon at all for a flock to get sick soon after adding new members. The woman OP purchased the birds from suggested the medicated feed as a safeguard. In my personal opinion, its not a bad idea.

As for OP. Read the box, Follow the manufacturers instructions. If the manufacturer says the eggs are safe to eat, you may do so. If they say the eggs may be dangerous, then toss them.

Riki

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Chick starter is higher in protien than layer food. I'm guessing that is why she recomended it. It might give them a boost if they were stressed over the move. I personally would have just gave them a bit of calf manna, cat food or BOSS if I thought they needed a bit more protien, although the chick started is fine and wouldn't hurt them a bit.

I've never feed any type of medicated feed, so can't advise on that. We did eat some eggs once that a neighbor had given us and found out later that he was feeding medicated feed. It didn't kill us. [​IMG]
    Personally I'd wait a couple of weeks after they ate any medicated feed before eatting the eggs... but that's just me.

8. mississippifarmboy

darn. Do I really type that slow?

4 posts just while I was typing. I'm old.... [​IMG]

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Amprolium is used for the prevetion and treatment of Coccidia, By offering a Medicated Feed [like a starter] to a new bird your treating for any Coccidia that the new bird may have and bring to your place and also your treating for any new Coccidia that the bird may pick up at your place.

Chris

10. mississippifarmboy

Chris is pretty knowledeable about this stuff. Lord knows I've asked him enough about stuff over the years.

If he says it safe to eat the eggs... I'd make an omelete. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by