Safe to eat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by J.S. Webb, May 16, 2011.

1. J.S. Webb

J.S. Webb In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    N/W Florida
    Is it safe to eat birds that were slaughtered using lidocain?

2. Connorrm

Connorrm Songster

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Isn't that pain killer?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    J.S. Webb :

Is it safe to eat birds that were slaughtered using lidocain?

??
    Explain, please? I've not heard of this............​

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    I assume you mean topical lidocaine? Like the kind of topical they put in Orajel and over the counter itch cremes?

Frankly, I don't see how a little lidocaine is going to do much against the sensation of getting one's throat slit, but OTOH, I highly doubt it's going to cause any problems with the meat, unless someone who had an extreme allergy to lidocaine ate it.

5. J.S. Webb

J.S. Webb In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    N/W Florida
    I mean the lidocaine Local anesthetic Subq injectable. It is toxic to chickens as it overwhelms the nervous system. If I used this there would be no flopping, and no screaming, no PAIN!

6. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    J.S. Webb :

I mean the lidocaine Local anesthetic Subq injectable. It is toxic to chickens as it overwhelms the nervous system. If I used this there would be no flopping, and no screaming, no PAIN!

A killing cone would be much easier. That would take care of the flopping. As for the pain, I really don't think they feel much pain if cut properly. We did 55 of them this weekend, and only 1 or 2 made any noise at all after slitting them. Also, if they are dead from injection before you cut the neck to bleed out, then it is likley that the bird won't drain properly, as they heart is not getting the blood out.​

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  7. GAchick

GAchick Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    'Overkill' in my opinion. Why would you want to eat birds with all that chemical in it?

8. J.S. Webb :

I wouldn't do it. Get a killing cone and decapitate for a quick and painless death.​

9. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Songster

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    I wouldn't. Of course, you could sell the meat to your local dentists. Have a chicken sandwich, then I'll be in to drill in a minute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by