Safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Mountain Bear, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Mountain Bear

Mountain Bear Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    I was given 6 chickens which are now about 6 months old. Since these chickens were smaller than my laying hens I decided to keep them apart. It turns out that my isolation coop is not exactly secure and the chickens keep flying over the top of the door. I finally gave up and let them just have the main floor of the barn.
    I have just noticed that they have been eating the fiberglass insulation off the water line. I would assume the eggs should still be safe to eat but what about the meat. I plan to keep these birds for at least two years. Would any of the fiberglass or tinfoil outter coating be in there meat? Or would they be safe to eat? The birds look and act fine.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I can't imagine how it could work it's way into the meat.

3. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

The fiberglass will only go through their digestive track, so they will be safe to eat. My chickens were eating it like candy then I stopped it be covering the insulation with wood.

4. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    The only really problem with fiberglass is that it is a respiratory tract irritant. It used to be considered carcinogenic, but that designation has been removed.........

Fiberglass is glass reinforced plastic...sometimes called fiber wool....so it contains very finely ground glass, which can irritate the eyes, and when it gets into the lungs can cause a bronchitis like symptoms.

The chicken could get sick if it inhales the fiberglass particles, but the meat should be just fine.

5. Mountain Bear

May 26, 2012
    I just moved them to their new permanent coop with no fiberglass. Found them roosting on the window sill 8ft up with no real steps to get there so I would say they are fine. As for the meat that will be at least a year, I am keeping them for eggs. Hope I can crack the eggs with all the fiberglass. LOL

6. BCMaraniac

Mar 27, 2013
    LOL...talk about a hard boiled egg....[​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's not exactly the same, but my birds have eaten a fair amount of Styrofoam over the years. I eat my meat and eggs just fine.

Then again, I did get leukemia......[​IMG]

8. Mountain Bear

May 26, 2012
    Good to know. When the time comes I will enjoy. I guess the only thing that could pass to the muscle or eggs would be a bit of chemical or colour additive. Certainly the actual fiberglass (or styrophoam) couldn't pass.

9. BCMaraniac

Mar 27, 2013
    As quickly as food passes through the GI tract of a chicken, I doubt seriously that there will be much plastic residue absorbed into the blood stream.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by