Safe to lay a towel over brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RitzHomestead, Mar 2, 2015.

1. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    My red warmth light is very secure about three feet above the top of the brooder, it's safe to lay a towel under the red light on top of the brooder right? Trying to not burn the house down in the process lol

2. CGinJCMO

CGinJCMO Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Cole County Missouri
    Why are you wanting a towel? Is it too hot? I'd raise it higher or switch bulb sizes. If you are wanting to make it dark, I think three feet sounds safe enough. I would be concerned about the towel falling in on the chicks. Could you find a large piece of cardboard or wood paneling to accomplish the same thing? If the chicks are young enough to need the heat however, I wouldn't block it with anything - not even a towel. I use the red heat bulbs 24/7 and haven't had problems. The red is supposed to be safe in regards to them being able to sleep and also not be picking at each other

CG

3. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA

I have a lid with chicken wire over the top so not worried at all about it falling in on them. Mine are at about 4 weeks so warmth isn't a big issue either, just wanting them to get used to night time darkness before I move them to coop in a few weeks. They seem to enjoy the dark as about five minutes after they were all sound asleep. I was mainly worried about the towel catching fire

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  4. CGinJCMO

CGinJCMO Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Cole County Missouri
    Ahh, older chicks. They are in your house. How cold does it get in the house over night? If they are snuggling together to sleep, and it's not too cold, you might be able to turn off the light at night. Then the light comes on during the day when they are running around eating, drinking and playing. I still think the towel sounds like it's far enough away that it shouldn't catch fire but if you really want to be safe, you could dampen the towel a little and that should give you peace of mind. You could also put a cookie sheet (without towel) over the wire, it's made to withstand higher temperatures than what the heat lamp is going to make it be.

I understand your desire to get them used to darkness, It's the only reason why I would consider a Brensea brooder warmer - heat without the light. The cost is the only reason why I haven't done it yet.

CG

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

No the lamp can break and fall. I mean spontaneously burst.

You definitely want metal fencing between the bulb and the bedding, not the towel.

What I do is give them a tiny box with a cutout inside the brooder off in a corner, which I call their "carport" LOL and they can go under it to get some darkness. But do make sure it won't trap them if they try to pass behind it, and that it will be safe with the heat lamp (not too close to it). If your brooder is very crowded it may invite suffocation/entrapment but if you have just a few chicks in there they may enjoy it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by