Safe to mix ages?

4 MimisPeeps

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
Stamford, CT
I have a male Khaki Campbell born mid-March. I want to get a female. Would it be ok to get one that is about1 yr old already & laying? Would they have problems getting along? I do have the option to get 2 females. Would that be better?
Thanks!

I have a male Khaki Campbell born mid-March. I want to get a female. Would it be ok to get one that is about1 yr old already & laying? Would they have problems getting along? I do have the option to get 2 females. Would that be better?
Thanks!
I vote for 2 and your drake will be in duck heaven. One duck to 1 drake makes for a lot of wear on the duck 2 means less wear and tear.

Once they reach adulthood, age is less important as far as ducks being able to stand up for themselves in the flock dynamic. Aside from that, my ducks seem to change a little as they get older, behavior-wise. But I don't think the age changes account for any more than simple personality differences when it comes to reblending the flock.

and because your girls will be older they will be able to keep the young drake in tow so to speak. [Teach him the ropes] and respect. I see this in my flock with the ducks and chickens the older girls teach the young drakes and roos to behave. Once they all get use to each other and your drake is mature they will love him as their leader.

Back
Top Bottom