Safe to plant or no?

Ninjasquirrel

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
Ive got a full garden growing in my sun room: luffa, broccoli, jalapenos, green peppers, banana peppers, egg plant, tomatos (beef steaks and romas). All of them are about a foot tall. I looked at the weather forecast and it doesnt look like the low will be below 35 but the high is below 60. Is it safe to put them in the garden?

Broccoli can tolerate colder weather, not sure on luffa, the others are all warm weather plants so 35 could be pushing it.

If you have a few spares, do what I do and put out sacrificial plants. I normally plant tomatoes at the start of May. So right now I have a couple small tomato plants in their starter pots sitting outside, and if they survive without issue for 3-4 days, then I go ahead and plant the bigger, healthier plants.

Broccoli is the only one safe to put out. Everything else is very tender and shouldn’t be planted until the lows stay above 50 or even 60 at night. You should also harden everything off before planting. You can do this by setting them outside for an hour or 2 a day in the shade for a day or 2 them in the shade a few more hours the next then add a little sunshine and slowly every day leave them out a little longer and add a little more sunshine until they can handle full sun and staying outside all night.

Broccoli is the only one safe to put out. Everything else is very tender and shouldn’t be planted until the lows stay above 50 or even 60 at night. You should also harden everything off before planting. You can do this by setting them outside for an hour or 2 a day in the shade for a day or 2 them in the shade a few more hours the next then add a little sunshine and slowly every day leave them out a little longer and add a little more sunshine until they can handle full sun and staying outside all night.
Ok thank you! My sun room hardens them off a little because its not thermostatically controlled. Ive done it this way every year with no issues but its been rather chilly

Back
Top Bottom