Safe to put my chicks outside yet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JusteenF, Mar 29, 2017.

1. JusteenF

JusteenF Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    North Carolina
    Hey yall. 1st time momma here. Wondering if and when it would be safe to put my 5week old chick she outside in their coop/run. I put them out some days now when it's nice out for a few hours but not permanently or overnight as of yet. Just wondering when everyone usually lets theirs out for good. We live in Nc and the lowest it will be overnight for the next week is 46 degrees and in the 60s-70s during the daytime. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    They should be fine.How much do you have?You should probably give them a heat lamp at night.

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Are you running heat on them now at night inside? If so I would stop it before I put them out with no heat on a 46 degree night.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  4. cabincreations

cabincreations Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    Mine go out almost as soon as they are dry from the incubator, with a heat lamp, into a brooder I have built in my coop. I usually turn off the heat during the day by the time they are about three to four weeks, and fully when full feathered.
    I am in Canada and have been using my coop brooder for about three weeks now. So yours should be fine, especially if you are putting a light out there with them.

5. JusteenF

JusteenF Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    North Carolina
    I have 6 chicks. I am still running their heat lamp all the time. So I'm thinking perhaps turning it off during the day and then wait maybe a week and then transfer them outside with the heat lamp at night out there as well?

6. cabincreations

cabincreations Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    They should be fine out there with the heat lamp. I had mine out there at three days old in below freezing temps. They do huddle close to the lamp at first when they are day olds...but they adjust quickly. I can't keep chicks in the house, i am allergic to them lol. So out they go, and they really do survive and become feathered quickly

7. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You do not need a heat lamp(a 250 watt red bulb) period for 6 chicks. Yes I would cut that light off. If you got a place to put them outside at night---I would screw about a 40/60 watt bulb in the hanging light ---adjust its height so its about 80 degree's on the floor/dirt/bed under it when it gets into the 40's and run it only at night for another week or so. Keep raising it ever few days to wean them off it.

1 person likes this.
  8. JusteenF

JusteenF Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    North Carolina

Ok thank you I'll try this.

9. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    My chicks are 5 weeks old and I put them outside in the coop last week. It's a bit colder here in Indiana, getting into the 40's at night. I have a heat lamp on a light sensor, and a second heat lamp on a thermostat that will kick on if it gets below like 65 degrees. The chicks seem quite happy and healthy. I know it gets in the 50's during the day and they have to huddle sometimes, but they are fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by