Safe to switch?

TheOgdensmenagerie

Songster
6 Years
Feb 4, 2017
Eastern Montana
So I have 6 chicks they are between 5-6 weeks old. 3 rirs and 3 buff orp. I have them in a brooder of good size but I have noticed as the buffs are much larger already they are picking on my reds. I think maybe its due to the closer quarters?!
So I think maybe it is time to move to the big chicken coop instead of the brooder. I'm in california so despite the storms the temps are still above 45 at night and as high as 70s in the days. Their coop is pictured and I have a cover for the door so wind is kept out. Do you think it's safe to move them over?

**all the stuff in the shed is removed this was a before picture. It now equipped with roosts and lots of hay and shavings on the ground. :)

I live in Iowa, and usually between 6-7 weeks, I'll move mine to the big coop. However, since you are in California, I'd say if they are pretty well feathered and the temperatures are as you said, go ahead and move them. The buffs might just be asserting their dominance, but moving them might be wise if only to save the RIR's. Good luck

Could be, but I've had roosters that are sweet as can be to other chickens, and hens that were complete (for lack of a better word) meanies. Every bird has a different personality, and it could be that or any number of things.

They say chicks need 95 degrees F for the first week and minus five degrees every week thereafter. If they are 6 weeks old, they can withstand about 70 degrees. It also depends on how much their feathers have grown in. Maybe since chicks sleep most of the night, move them out to the coop during the day, and in the house at night? Or put them in a separate tote or cage in the house? It'd be good to let them see the RIR's as well so they don't start the pecking order all over again when you move the RIR's into the coop a few weeks after the BO's go in.

Also, that's a gorgeous coop! I suggest using sand and pine shavings on the bottom. It helps keep the coop much drier and cleaner and it smells much better. Much easier to clean out as well, and you don't need to clean as often as you would with hay or straw! I switched from hay to pine shavings this past fall, and haven't cleaned it out, only added fresh shavings on top when it got bad. I'll clean it out completely in the spring.

I have BOs and RIRs and love them! Good luck with your chicks!

Depends on how big your brooder is. I move mine out to the coop at 5 weeks because they are too crowded. By now yours should not be needing any supplemental heat and should be fine in the big coop. They will all snuggle up to keep warm at night. They will be fine outside.

And you didn't ask, but I hope you have plans for more ventilation in the coop. You need air to flow in from one side and out the other.

Thanks for the tips Fluffy.
Yes, DMontgomery there will be one side that gets ventilated and a door and ramp outside to the run. We are working on the run now. Thanks for making sure I knew! :)

They say chicks need 95 degrees F for the first week and minus five degrees every week thereafter. If they are 6 weeks old, they can withstand about 70 degrees. It also depends on how much their feathers have grown in. Maybe since chicks sleep most of the night, move them out to the coop during the day, and in the house at night? ......
That 5 degree a week thing is not necessary, nor necessarily healthy....
.........better to get them used to cooler temps sooner after the first few days rather than later and go by behavior instead of temperature.

Depends on how big your brooder is. I move mine out to the coop at 5 weeks because they are too crowded. By now yours should not be needing any supplemental heat and should be fine in the big coop. They will all snuggle up to keep warm at night. They will be fine outside.

And you didn't ask, but I hope you have plans for more ventilation in the coop. You need air to flow in from one side and out the other.
Ditto Dat^^^

Very nice shed retrofit.....but definitely needs way more ventilation.

I moved them out of the broader into the coop and they seem to be doing great!
I switched the hay out for sand and pine shavings today.
The run should be done tomorrow so I can add the ventilation at that point.

Do you guys suggest just a big open hole on the side since it will let out directly into the run? And then a few smaller holes on top of thw back wall with wire? That should be sufficient?

I moved them out of the broader into the coop and they seem to be doing great!
I switched the hay out for sand and pine shavings today.
The run should be done tomorrow so I can add the ventilation at that point.

Do you guys suggest just a big open hole on the side since it will let out directly into the run? And then a few smaller holes on top of thw back wall with wire? That should be sufficient?
Pic of coop and run from outside...and your climate/location....would help.
Several different factors that may affect where and how to ventilate.
Here's a coulple of good reads on ventilation:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

Back
Top Bottom