1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Safe way to get blood out of feathers?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amykins, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    So I had the little angel-darling on my chest, and the lovely, gentle, well behaved thing up and bit off my beauty mark. Blood EVERYWHERE. She got a fair bit of it on her bib, and I fear it's not coming out with water. Is there a non toxic cleaning thing that can get her nice and white again?

2. smudge

smudge Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    Have you tried Dawn dishwashing liquid? Not straight, of course!

Who knew - you've got a feathered plastic surgeon. [​IMG]

3. Quackers Mama

Quackers Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I was about to suggest the same thing, after all it's what they use to clean up the animals covered in oil from oil spills. I actually just used some on Quackers because she was a stinky poopy ducky lol. Her entire underside was covered because she decided it was a good idea to lay in her mess lol. Hope your ok @Amykins

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I would skip the soap and use water, plain it'll be fine.. and will come off... i had a white drake slam down once last year and bled like crazy out his nares a quick bath and he was white again.

Not a fan of soap and ducks they have special oils, who knows how much soap can mess with it and dawn and wildlife? ooh boy that is what is massively debated.

HTH!

5. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Well it wasn't coming off with water after three baths, so I put a tiny bit of dish soap on a q-tip and ran it under warm water to dilute it. It seemed to do the trick - still some faint spots of brown left but for the most part it's out. Thanks, guys!

As for me, I'm ok-ish, it just hurt A LOT! And I'm rather proud of my naturally occurring beauty mark so I'm a bit roughed up for losing it! Maybe it'll grow back, who knows. Moles are weird that way.

Maybe I should watch my back from now on - Wobbles has had a taste of human blood! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  6. Quackers Mama

Quackers Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Zombie duck on the loose! Lol.

Glad you're ok, hopefully it does grow back. :) Make sure to keep it clean & put some neosporin or something on it so it won't scare up or get infected.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Mercy, Amykins!!!!

Once, when Zehn was about seven weeks old, as I was leaning over talking to her, she jumped up and grabbed one of my eyebrows. Reckon they looked like caterpillars. Then one day she stole a kiss - lips look like slugs? I kept my face farther away from my ducklings after that.

8. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Ha, Wobs goes for the lips, too! She likes to nibble everything - even her mommy. [​IMG] Makes me wonder if ducklings like to nip on mama ducks, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by