Safe ways to weed the lawn?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by alecia86, Feb 1, 2013.

1. alecia86

alecia86 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    Hi guys! My lawn is extremely overrun with weeds. Weeds take up 95% of the yard. Given that the chickens eat the grass, I assume its not safe to spray it with some type of weed killer? (Thinking about doing the while lot and then replanting grass seed). Is there a safe way to do it? Or should I maybe close off one side of the yard for a couple of months and do it in two lots?

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens seem to enjoy the weeds more than the grass. lol. At least the dandelions, chickweed, wild lettuce and knotweed. Which are all very healthy grazing! :) My one half of back yard is bare right now though in spring and summer it will be thick with weeds again I hope. hahahah

What about tilling the area instead of chemical sprays? or putting the chickens where the weeds are like in a tractor pen and let them do the work then reseed. But I imagine you'd have to keep the chickens out of the area or they'll eat the seed...Still new to all this returfing concept so don't quote me.

3. alecia86

Dec 29, 2012
    Lol thanks tdgill. I can't tile, because i'm renting. I want to put grass down for a few reasons... Weeds grow really fast... They are are to walk on and full of prickles. And it just looks awful lol... The chickens were the other thing - I thought they would like grass more, but maybe not? I ave been throwing grass seed around and they do eat it a bit, but not all of it and the grass is getting a chance to grow. But its really no match for the weeds.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Corn gluten can be used as a pre-emergent herbicide, and should be safe around the chickens.

http://lawncare.about.com/od/organiclawncare/a/corn_gluten.htm

Spraying young, tender weeds with vinegar and soap will kill the tops of the weeds. If you get them early enough, this will kill the plant. Vinegar breaks down rapidly when exposed to air. Once dry, there should be no risk to the chickens. Of course, your yard will smell like a giant salad.

My chickens eat the weeds with enthusiasm. The area around their run usually has a thick growth of weeds winter and summer. Since I have started letting them out to forage every day, the weeds are just a fine dusting of tiny leaves. Moreover, the weeds are quite nutritious for the chickens.

Chris

5. Slongest

Slongest Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Goats Goats Goats Goats get just two or three for the spring let them free range then before you know it grass is mowed and weeds gone and theyre easy keepers dont eat much grain....think about it

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    The best way to get rid of weeds is grow good, thick grass. Is the area compacted, too shady, infertile? Aerate the soil to relieve compacted areas, fertilize, replant if it's too thin of a stand, and don't cut it too short so that the grass always shades the soil.

What kind of weeds do you have?

7. alecia86

Dec 29, 2012
    Lol ok, great answers. We are renting, the house had been empty for 6 months before we moved in and I don't think the lawn was mowed at all in that time. The weeds are extremely thick, with huge roots. (I have been pulling them out after rain and some are close to impossible). Unfortunately a goat is really out of the question. Lol! The yard isn't very big and the neighbours house is max 2m from our fence.

We have numerous kinds of weeds, I know nothing about gardening to tell you what they are :( some are tall, grassy looking, others are clover, prickles, flowery things. I might try some of the vinegar etc and see if anything happens

8. venus

venus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Auckland, New Zealand
    My chickens absolutely love clover!! They would rip my hands off for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by