SAFEGAURD 10% for 3wk Turkey

KYAS3516

Songster
May 17, 2018
Hello BYC Friends,
I just got 3 baby turkeys from the TS. They are not about 3 wks old and I notice that they are sneezing and 1 is gasping for air. I assume gapeworms.
I have Safe-Guard for goats 10% suspension. Can somebody PLEASE help me with dosage? I have searched and searched but there are no answers other than for pellets.
I have 9 original BYB and 12 new month old baby chicks with my new turkeys. All free range from about 3 to 8 pm. Otherwise, they are in separate pens for now. The Turkeys seem to be well, except for the one always gasping for air.

Hoping for the best.
K.Arias

Gapeworms are rare, but if you want to treat them for gapes, the dose is 30 mg/kg for five days.

You need to weigh each bird then give 0.14 ml pound of body weight orally for five days.
The math is:
Weight in pounds, divide by 2.2, time 30, divide by 100 = number of ml to give

Casportpony - Thank you, thank you! Do you think it would be something else? I have researched and found that this more closely resembles what my chickens went through when I first started raising them 6 years ago. So that's why I'm leaning that way to gapeworms.

I have Tylen 50 injection on hand.
Can you weigh each turkey?
If mine, I would give it no less than twice a day, but I would give it orally since injecting it can cause severe muscle necrosis.

I would give one of these:
  • 0.3 ml per pound four times a day
  • 0.4 ml per pound three times a day
  • 0.6 ml per pound two times a day
Do you have any Baytril (enrofloxacin)?

If mine, I would give it no less than twice a day, but I would give it orally since injecting it can cause severe muscle necrosis.

Got It!!! I'm on it! Each Turkey is average 3.5 lbs. 3lbs for the smaller 2 and 3.8 for the larger one, I assume it's a Tom. I don't have enrofloxacin. Should I get it and have it on hand?

Got It!!! I'm on it! Each Turkey is average 3.5 lbs. 3lbs for the smaller 2 and 3.8 for the larger one, I assume it's a Tom. I don't have enrofloxacin. Should I get it and have it on hand?

So the math for these three Turkeys is 2.1 ml orally twice a day, correct? How long? How many days?

The math for Tylan is:

Weight in pounds, times 60, divided by 50, divided by how many times per day that you can give it.

3.8 pounds x 60 / 50 = 4.56 ml / 2 = 2.28 ml twice a day
3 pounds x 60 / 50 = 3.6 ml / 2 = 1.8 ml twice a day

The math for Tylan is:

Weight in pounds, times 60, divided by 50, divided by how many times per day that you can give it.

3.8 pounds x 60 / 50 = 4.56 ml / 2 = 2.28 ml twice a day
3 pounds x 60 / 50 = 3.6 ml / 2 = 1.8 ml twice a day
Eggsellent! So APPRECIATE your expertise and help! I will keep you posted on the changes over the course of a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom