Safeguard dosage?

hayley3

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
I have written down that you give safeguard for 5 days in a row..a pea-sized amount, but just read on a facebook post you only have to give safeguard one time and then a follow-up dose in 10 days but I thought that was for Valbazen. Does anyone know which is correct?

I have written down that you give safeguard for 5 days in a row..a pea-sized amount, but just read on a facebook post you only have to give safeguard one time and then a follow-up dose in 10 days but I thought that was for Valbazen. Does anyone know which is correct?
Safeguard (Fenbendazole) dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row. This dose and length of time will take care of most worms that poultry have, but not tapeworms.

If you give once, then repeat in 10 days - this treats roundworms only.

"Pea Size" is very old info - we now know the correct dose is by weight.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row. This dose and length of time will take care of most worms that poultry have, but not tapeworms.

If you give once, then repeat in 10 days - this treats roundworms only.

"Pea Size" is very old info - we now know the correct dose is by weight.
Thanks, that clears it up....I had it written down and was confused. I would think you would want to give it for 5 days then to get the most worms.

So CMom posted a link to this website about Fenbendazole and it says to give it to ducks for 5 days...I wonder why? Do they have a lot of capillary worms? Just curious LOL

http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/fenbendazole

Thanks, that clears it up....I had it written down and was confused. I would think you would want to give it for 5 days then to get the most worms.

So CMom posted a link to this website about Fenbendazole and it says to give it to ducks for 5 days...I wonder why? Do they have a lot of capillary worms? Just curious LOL

http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/fenbendazole
My notes say .23ml or 1/4 cc per pound of bird but since it's a paste how do you measure it in ml's?
I don't know about Ducks LOL

You would measure the paste same as liquid, stick your syringe into the end of the tube and draw up .23ml per pound.

Thanks...good to know. I use Valbazen but always good to know the other options.
I wondered about that. I was trying to check who it was run by. I see nothing about who owns the site though.
Valbazen is very good too. Dose for that is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

PoultryDVM is notoriously wrong about a lot of things. Just for future reference.
Especially fenbendazole.
I wondered about that. I was trying to check who it was run by. I see nothing about who owns the site though.
We looked it up once, it's not a vet.

Back
Top Bottom