Safeguard dosages vary per thread please clarify!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sezua, Dec 23, 2016.

1. sezua

sezua Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2014
    Texas
    Hi there, i'm a little confused about the dosage of safeguard because there's a post that says to give it like Valbezen one dose wait 10 days and dose again. Then there is another post same people are saying give 3 days in a row. Can someone please clarify which is correct? I have underweight hen that round worms were found in her stool. I gave 1/2 ml liquid safeguard on Wednesday. Thank you,

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    An effective Safeguard dose when treating large roundworms is 0.23 ml per pound once and repeat in 10 days. Three days are needed for gapes, five days for capillary worms.

-Kathy

fatcatx and Eggcessive like this.
  3. sezua

sezua Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2014
    Texas
    Thanks Kathy for letting me know. The label says .5 ml for 25lb goat. Can chickens handle a lot of this stuff then? And this is straight from the bottle not a drench right? Sure seems like I would be giving a large amount at that rate for my 8 lb rooster for instance.
    Before I heard back on here I redosed them on Friday at .6 ml. I am pretty positive its roundworm but will send to the lab after holiday just to make sure. We are humid and warm here so they've been freeranging a lot and we have all sorts of wildlife around that they are probably picking these pesky worms up from.
    Thanks again for taking the time to get back with me! [​IMG]

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Cows, goats, horses get just 5 mg/kg, but birds, cats, and dogs get 10 times as much.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  5. sezua

sezua Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2014
    Texas

Ok good to know! Thanks again and merry Christmas.

6. sezua

sezua Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2014
    Texas
    Kathy had the valbezen dose changed? Is it still 1/4 cc for bantams, 1/2 cc for standard, 3/4 cc for larger breeds? Repeated every 10 days until they are clear?
    Lab tests came back round worm eggs but I can clearly see tape segments also in every dropping.
    Thank you!

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    A friend of mine has had great success using 7.5 ml Valbazen per gallon of water when treating his peafowl for large roundworms and/or cecal worms (efficacy confirmed by fecal floats). As for actual per bird amount I think it's 0.09 ml per pound. Either way, repeat in 10 days.

8. sezua

sezua Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you Kathy, I will wait until I get the test back to make sure before I treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by