Safeguard equine dumb question

When I first dosed my chickens with Safeguard, I did the math wrong and really overdosed them. I couldn't tell that it hurt them, so don't be too concerned if you get a little too much. Big pea, small pea--I'd almost do a bit more than a bit too little.

By the way, I see people worming chickens 'preventively' on a regular schedule. Is there no downside to this? Wouldn't it exhaust the hen to be taking meds when she has no worms or may have something else ?
Some folks deworm on a schedule, it really depends on your location and worm load.
Like @dawg53 and @coach723 live in the warm/hot moist climates of FL and GA, so they may have a heavier burden then like I do, because I do have more of a Winter with colder temps.

By the way, I see people worming chickens 'preventively' on a regular schedule. Is there no downside to this? Wouldn't it exhaust the hen to be taking meds when she has no worms or may have something else ?
Good question. The only downside is for the worms breaking their lifecycle. I worm monthly due to our warm moist soil most of the year. Worming keeps birds healthy; free from weakened immune systems, healthy appetites and egg laying. :)

Since you live in Canada, you may have only have to worm your birds twice a year.

Back
Top Bottom