Safeguard "for Goats" dosage for chickens?

CozyDia

Chirping
May 4, 2022
SE Texas
I read that its 0.23ml per pound of chicken. Is this correct? Also how many days do I administer it? I'm treating for a variety of worms. There's not many local vets around here for a fecal float test. I plan to inject it into a grape or let it soak on a piece of bread and feed it to her inside an enclosed area so no other chickens can steal it.

I have a flock of 5 and the treatment is mainly for one of the chicken. I suspect she needs a deworming since she's quite skinny, has tattered tail feathers, balding from the comb, and hasn't laid eggs in several months.

Would you say that she could be molting? If so, you may not want to treat with SafeGuard until she is finished molting, since it may cause odd feather growth. A better choice would be Valbazen if she is molting. Dosage of Valbazen is 0.08 ml per pound of weight once orally and repeated in 10 days. That is around 0.5 ml for 4-6 pound hen.

If using the SafeGuard, answering your question , dosage is 0.23 ml per pound given for 5 consecutive days. That treats roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, and capillary worms. The .Valbazen above treats the same ones. I would treat all of your chickens at once.

How old is she? Do you have any pictures? Is her tail held up or down? Is her crop emptying overnight by the next morning? Is she eating and drinking? What do her droppings look like?

Last edited:
I don't think she's molting. Her feathers have been in a slow decline since the beginning of summer mainly her tail feathers. There hasn't been any eggs either even though she was fine laying almost everyday last winter when she first came here.

I'm not sure about her age since she wandered here on her own and was already laying eggs. She's at least 2 years old that's for sure. Her tail is always up unless she's sitting/laying around and her crop is emptying properly. Her eating and drinking is normal. She dirt bathes daily. Droppings are of a solid texture and dark brown with the white cap similar to the rest of my flock.

Here's a few pics I took of her a few months ago, she still looks about the same currently. One of her wings was clipped before she got here, but its growing back ever so slowly. There's a couple new feathers that has grown in on the clipped wing that isn't shown in the picture. Her tail feathers are in pretty bad shape and has gotten worst, but the rest of her feathers on her body is fine though somewhat thin.

20220910_183328 (1).jpg
20220910_183427 (1).jpg

That looks like a Pearl White Leghorn. I don't think the legs would be that white if it was not laying. Leghorns start declining eggs about 3 years and older so that is probably the reason.

That looks like a Pearl White Leghorn. I don't think the legs would be that white if it was not laying. Leghorns start declining eggs about 3 years and older so that is probably the reason.

Oh really? I never knew they stop laying eggs after 3 years. She definitely is an old lady.

Prior to stopping completely, she kept laying shell-less eggs even though she had a proper diet and calcium supplements, so I was worried it might be worms. Could her age explain her poor feathers as well?

I'll still treat her with dewormer since it doesn't hurt to try (I think).

She should be going into molt soon if she hasnt already done so. If she has already been in molt and her feathers are rough looking as they are in the photo; external parasites or feather picking might've been an issue at her previous location.
Inspect her closely for lice/mites, especially around her vent area. Use Permethrin dust to dust her if she has external parasites. Give her vitamin D to help with calcium absorption to harden eggshells.
Since you plan to worm her, use Valbazen and while you're at it, worm the rest of your flock as well. Dosage is 1/2ml given orally, redose in 10-14 days. If one bird has worms, mostly likely others have them as well.

The clipped wing feathers were done by her previous owner because White Leghorns can fly, high at that. I've had them fly up on the roof of my house and ended up having to clip both wing feathers. They can be lured down off the roof with treats lol.

Back
Top Bottom