Safeguard for goats..for chickens, too?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alphagamchick, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Alphagamchick

Alphagamchick Songster

Mar 26, 2007
    MI
    As an aside to the question I just asked. I searched for this on the posts. The feed store did have Safeguard for goats-liquid. Can I use that for chickens, as well. If so, does anyone know the dosage? Thank you.

2. Alphagamchick

Alphagamchick Songster

Mar 26, 2007
    MI
    Any replies on this? May switch to this instead of the paste, if it will work.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Your question yesterday,"Can Safeguard paste be dissolved in food or water?" Was well responded to regarding your questions about Safeguard....refer to yesterdays answers.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Safeguard for goats is in liquid form, not a paste. The paste form is usually for horses.

The active chemical wormer is Fenbendazole in a 10% Oral suspension. I know there is a withdrawal time for goats, but I'm not sure how long you should dispose of eggs when used on poultry. The instructions for use in poultry is to put 2 TBLS in 1 gal of
    water. It will kill most round worms and gapes. Repeat in ten days.

Here is more information about wormers that can be used on poultry that are labeled for use in other species.

5. Alphagamchick

Alphagamchick Songster

Mar 26, 2007
    MI
    Dawg,

Believe me, I read all of the responses to my original question( can paste be dissolved in water and given that way?) before I re-posted about liquid goat wormer. I have also read, read and re-read posts re: the different wormers. Sometimes the original post gets lost in translation and switches direction and well meaning folks totally miss the ORIGINAL QUESTION. I have read on this site 100 times how to give paste wormer. I had one response on using goat wormer and then the thread changed so I thought I would ask again because the original post disappeared. Yes, I know that the goat wormer is liquid. Thought I would get another opinion as everyone has their own on how to worm. Now I have two responses on goat wormers for chickens along with dosage info. I will have to check if 3cc is the same as 2TBL. Thanks to those folks.

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    3 mL only equals 0.2 US TBLS.

Personally, we worm with DE and sometimes with Wazine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by