Safeguard wormer egg withdrawal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MischiefChick, Oct 13, 2017.

1. MischiefChick

MischiefChick Hatching

Jun 8, 2016
    MS Gulf Coast
    After reading all the posts on deworming, I’ve decided to go with Safeguard liquid for goats. I know there is a 14 day egg withdrawal after the last dose, but what about the eggs laid the first couple days of worming? Have they developed enough so the wormer won’t affect them?

2. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm Crossing the Road

May 28, 2015
    Chesterland, OH
    My Coop
    I personally eat the eggs. I've never used safeguard for worming but valbazen.

As I see it you give them 1/4 cc or so. If all of that dose went into a single egg I'd have to eat a dozen eggs in one sitting to give myself a dose of wormer.

There is concern about ingesting it and having a reaction. Could interact with medications or not?

It's a personal decision. There are people who say no way never eat eggs from a hen under treatment.
    Others say it's fine just eat them.

(I have never been ill from eating any eggs. Neither has anyone else who ate them. Yes, I told them the hens had been treated.)

3. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    The correct dosing for Safeguard liquid is .23ml per pound, so for a 6 lb bird would get 1.38ml (round up to the next easy measure). Safeguard takes a larger dose than Valbazen.
    As for eating the eggs, that's a personal decision. I know many people ignore the recommended withdrawl. Others just cook them and feed them back to their chickens. Your choice, my only caution would be if you sold eggs I probably wouldn't sell them during the withdrawl period, purely from an abundance of caution in a litigious society.

AnneInTheBurbs likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: