Safer heat lamps -UPDATE-sigh..it broke..pics

True Grit

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Orono, Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I just got my Premier1supplies catalogue and it reminded me to let everybody know that if you do decide to heat your coop there is a safer type of heat lamp than the aluminum shaded type. You can find it on their website www.premier1supplies.com. It is one recommended at the backyard chicken keeping class I attended. Called Premier Heat Lamp. I put a ceramic heat emitting bulb in mine.
UPDATE The lamp has been fine until just the other day when two little plastic tabs inside the handle attachment to the body must have broken. Two long screws fell out so I am not sure what purpose they served. The lamp didn't fall but was only suspended by the electrical wires. We fixed it by zip tying the handle to the body. I wrote to the company to tell them the lamp was defective and they reminded me to secure it in two ways.
roll.png
Since I recommmended it I wanted to warn anyone who bought one that this could happen. I'm sorry - it seemed like such a solid lamp and it hung over my brooder for 5 weeks with no problem. This lamp was first recommended to my by a small farm manager so evidently this hadn't occurred with his lamp. I'm thinking someone forgot to screw in the two long screws that fell out.
56209_img_0822.jpg

fixed with zip ties
56209_img_0823.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Usually those ceramic bulbs require a ceramic outlet for safety because these bulbs get much hotter than other kinds of bulbs...I know you can't use them in a typical metal outlet. The Premier website says to use standard or infrared bulbs...no mention of ceramic heat emitters. To be on the safe side, you could call them and ask them if it's ok to use a ceramic bulb with their lamp.

Quote:
Usually those ceramic bulbs require a ceramic outlet for safety because these bulbs get much hotter than other kinds of bulbs...I know you can't use them in a typical metal outlet. The Premier website says to use standard or infrared bulbs...no mention of ceramic heat emitters. To be on the safe side, you could call them and ask them if it's ok to use a ceramic bulb with their lamp.

Ah I never thought of that. I will do that and post their response. I did use a red bulb with it for the chicks and it hasn't been cold enough to use the heat emitter yet.
Thanks!

I called the company and they seemed to think it would be ok. I did notice on the website they have a list of replacement parts that includes a ceramic socket so I assume there is one already in the lamp but I'll doublecheck before using it.

I just checked out the lamp on the site...looks awesome.
smile.png
Especially since modifications have been made since. Not the cheapest thing out there, but looks SO much safer than tradition heat lamps.

Back
Top Bottom