Safer way to get rid of Mites/Lice

Nightingale

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
26
1
24
NC
My hen that I am currently nursing back to health has mites/lice. I know you can use a spray and 5% Seven Dust but since she is staying indoors until she gets better is their anything else I can use like a home remedy? The reason I ask is because my sister is pregnant and stays with us while her husband is working. She can't be around any type of pesticide.
 
Last edited:

edselpdx

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2008
196
1
111
Portland, OR
You can also try food-grade DE (food-grade diatomacious earth). It comes in powder form, and is not systemically active--it is not a "pesticide" as you normally think of. The sharp edges of the fossils nick the exoskeletons of the mites/fleas and they die of dehydration. It is not systemically toxic to anyone (including pregnant women), but it is not something you want to inhale, as it is an irritant. The sharp edges also affect lung linings, so wear a good dust mask while applying.

You will need to clean out and disinfect your coop totally, change all bedding, and dust all of the hens (down to the skin) with a thorough dusting of FOOD GRADE DE, and monitor for recurrence. Repeat as needed.

Good luck!
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom