Safest/Easy exterior finish for coop? Pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by EDM Mike, Mar 27, 2012.

1. EDM Mike

EDM Mike Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    What is the safest and easiest finish for the exterior of my coop? I was planning on using BLO or possibly Cabots Australian Timber Oil.

How long do the chickens need to be removed from the coop/run after coating? I do not want to cause any harm to my chickens. Thanks!

Mike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DcSmile06

DcSmile06 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks for asking, I was wondering this myself.

3. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I painted both inside and outside of my coop with Sherwin Williams exterior paint. It protect the wood and easy to clean. The chickens doing just fine.

4. EDM Mike

Feb 26, 2012
    I talked to a rep from Klean Strip today and instead of BLO he suggested Thompsons Water Seal. Said it would dry/evaporate much quicker and be easier to apply.....

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have painted coop interiors before with latex exterior paint with no problems at all.

6. EDM Mike

Feb 26, 2012
    How long till you put the chickens back in the coop?

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They visited me whilst I was painting and a couple of 'em got paint on their feathers. (People and chicken doors open for greater ventilation.). I closed the doors when I was done and let the flock in the next day - because this was a replacement coop.

Then I moved everybody at dusk into the new coop because they went to their usual spots. I had to keep them inside for about three days so they learned the new coop was their new home. A couple of stubborn chickens still needed to be moved at dusk for a couple more days until they "got It."

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  8. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I painted on hot sunny day and left all the door open over night. You could block and paint the coop part 1st and then paint other 1/2 next day.

9. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I like paint for the coop. After it dries, it is not going to rub off on anything. The fumes from latex paint dissipate rapidly, and are pretty much gone once dry. I try to paint everything before assembly. You can check at the paint stores for mis-mixed paint or ooops, often available for under $10 a gallon. Of course the selection of colors is limited.

A primer coat and two finish coats and it should last for years.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by