safety for silkie babies and vaulted skulls

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
I currently have 3 silkie babies that I would like to eventually integrate into the larger flock. I know that they are bit susceptible to head injuries because of the vaulted skulls. One baby in particular was hatched with quite the "crown" on it. Will it be safe to put them with others? I don't show my chikens so if necessary I could cut their bangs or put pony tails on their heads so they could see better.

Will they be in too much danger with the others?

Hey, maybe I could get some of those little plastic football helmets out of the gumball machine and make them wear them. Just kidding, but seriously, what precautions should I take.

When they are old enough to go into the main flock our silkies just go. They were also hatched and brooded with bigger chicks like Buff Orps and Marans. They aren't that touchy.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Depends on your flock and how vaulted their skulls are. I don't have anything near show quality so their skulls are not vaulted up in any way... and as chicks have tiny poofs. So mine go with the rest that are not in the layer flock, ie no 10.5 lb rooster in the came coop. As long as they are not beat on, trampled, and are with a size approperate bunch, they should be fine.

Three were hathed with normal looking heads. One hatched with a knob. His baby feathers are starting to cover it, but I was still worried. My older chickens won't care. As a matter of fact, the rooster will not let them harrass the babies. He does, however, let the babies harass each other. There are some older babies, so maybe I will just keep the silkies separated longer. Hopefully in time, the rooster will make them behave too.

Don't use a pony, that may attract the other chickens to peck, TRIM.

Put in an extra food dis and water dish.

Put up something extra for them to hide behind if necessary.

I screw a baby gate up at a slanted angle from the wall.

Give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom