Safety issue??????

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by EweSheep, Feb 9, 2009.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I am really peeved! I mean PEEVED!

I was so glad that hubby got the job at the hospital and going to school to become a plybomist (sp)...person drawing blood and do some courier work too. He was to start next week but last week is the TB testings, blood workups, background check, etc and starting to learn to do the procedures in labeling and putting info in computer data.

Today he got a call from the hospital that he was terminated because of inappropriate remark to the nurse that drew his blood....he made the comment to her that she should not tear the latex finger off from her glove <simply because it would be easier for her to feel the vein to draw blood and told her that his instructor told everyone NOT to do that. She was a young lady, probably fresh from college and my hubby is a certified EMT and he knows everyone should be wearing gloves at anytime with a patient. This nurse got mad and asked him if he wants another person and he said yes. Thought every thing was all hunky dorky.

His instructor has enforced everyone to wear gloves and preached it every time in her class. If it got a pin hole, or a tear either the person wearing it or indirectly, IT MUST BE REPLACED. At NO time, anyone would take their gloves off while during the treatment or prodecure of the patient.

What went wrong here? This company is independent company that has a contract with our hospital here in town and I dont know how the company would report his comments to the H and R and found grounds to terminate him because of his comments on safety issue of a nurse tearing off an finger off from her glove. Something does not sound right here!! If Iwas the patient, I would be very concern about nurses ripping finger gloves off so they can feel my veins a little better. If you gonna do that, you better get new gloves on!

He will be informing his instructor *who told him of this job....tomorrow at class and find out why some independent companies can terminate a person or whatever while other follow the safety protocol to a T.

Any suggestions or forwarning on some companies that does that? Who should we report to? His instructor is very well known around here in town and the hospitals always call on her for students for nurses, or anyone that is going thru the medical field.

This is so BULL !!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    phlebotomist

Unfortunately, finding a job isn't always about qualifications. Sometimes it's about impressing the right people. [​IMG]

Though, it usually is poor form to criticize potential co-workers, even if what they are doing is wrong. You've got to be extra careful not to step on toes these days.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    You need to file a complaint with the hospital admin. asap. She clearly was in the wrong and could endanger other peoples health.

4. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Hmmm.... I dont know what to tell you on that... sorry. Every lab tech and/or nurse thats ever drawn my blood has always ripped the tip off the glove to feel the vein better [​IMG] I've never seen it any other way - even in an ambulance by EMTs and Paramedics on the way to the hospital, I've had it done that way. ??? I just had an IV put in on Friday by the anesthesiologist because the nurse blew my vein the first go and even HE ripped the index finger tip off to feel for better placement.

Sorry this happened to your hubby.. hopefully you can get some answers. [​IMG]

ETA: Should add that they always feel FIRST - then swab with alcohol beforehand...never the other way around... so no germs and the needles are encased.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  5. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I am thinking it is not so much criticizing but UM if they are drawing MY blood I AND I MEAN I want to be protected from THEM!!!! What says THEY cannot be carrying something that I don't want in MY BLOOD...OMG you have got to be kidding...I think I would push wrongful termination here! You are not wrong! [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    so, why are they even bothering to wear a glove at all? DUH! if they are ripping off the finger to feel the vein...why not just not wear a glove? theres a REASON you are supposed to wear a glove..a FULL glove! UGH! people are scary! with all the diseases today? come on people! GROSS! i worked in health care for 15 years...never would catch me w/out my gloves on! [​IMG]

7. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I would have said something as well.
    Sorry, but there is no way, If I am conscious that someone is going to stick me without having gloves on.
    I have never had someone do that and I give blood regularly

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

She was wrong and your husband has every right to ask for someone else to draw his blood. File a complaint.

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:why bother wearing them at all if you put a whole in them. It like poking a whole in a certain form of birth control. Sooner or later it will haunt you.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Funny I never had a nurse or someone drawing blood ripping fingers off their gloves..........maybe I have not been in the hospital or ER care that much!

As for making a comment to someone about doing that, dont we as patients request them to keep their gloves intact???????? I dont know about the swabbing part after they touch you before they stick you but the chances are greater if you dont wear them. I dont mean very critial situation that there is NO time to get gloves on like out in the fields, scene of car accidents where you may not carry your gloves but its better to save your life than going around waiting or looking for a glove when time is so critial. That's understandable.

How much of the safety violations going on in there that we patients DON'T see behind the smoke screen?

I am letting hubby figure out what he needs to do the next step and he is not one happy camper!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by