Safety of antibiotics sold for fish tanks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Denninmi, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I see that a lot of poultry supply places sell "Fish-_____" whatever antibiotics for poultry.

It is WAY cheaper than the antibiotics sold by my vet. I was charged $65 for 80 capsules of cephalexin (probably didn't spell that right) generic for Keflex by the vet back in July.

I can get 100 capsule of Fish-Ceph on amazon. com for a little over $30 with shipping.

Does anyone know of any pros or cons of using this?

Part of me says -- well, what if it's some cheap Chinese knockoff or something and is actually harmful. But, the other part says "fish are more sensitive than birds and mammals, it must be made pretty carefully or it will kill the fish."

Opinions, please.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Biggest difference is likely formulation. When you take a drug of any type, you are taking more than just the drug itself. Often the drug is bound to a carrier molecule or perhaps in a time release capsule, or even with a combination of acids/bases so that when you ingest the drug, it is not deactivated by the pH of your stomach enzymes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by