Safety pips and quail

Should I create a "safety hole" in the air cell?

• Yeah

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Nah

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

GrandpaChainz

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2018
Oregon
Hey all. Moderately seasoned quail hatcher here. I'm actually hatching my own birds' eggs for the first time. They're still pretty young and I think I ran the humidity a touch too high for too long. The air cell is entirely too small. I hear that's a pretty common issue with eggs from younger birds.

When I hatched ducks, I was advised to give them a "safety hole" in case they had trouble externally pipping. They were fine, worked like a charm. Would it be advisable to do that for my quail since their air cell is so small? I'm on day 13 right now, so I figured the safety pip would probably happen on day 15.

I'm trying to rectify the issue. I read that if the air cell is this small you should just add no humidity and let them hatch out in dry air. Good advice?

:welcome

For me I would not put a safety pip. I would just reduce the humidity till they start to pip then raise it.

Quail are pretty resilient little hatches.

Good luck

You'll be surprised how much those air cells will grow. I've had quail eggs on permanent high humidity (because I'm terrible about staggered hatching) and they've done just fine.

I thought one of my Button quail eggs had been internally pipped for too long recently so did a safety pip. Well, I was wrong and the baby was no where near ready to get going and it was touch and go whether it was going to be able to hatch despite 80% humidity before it dried out and I ended up having to help it hatch.

Back
Top Bottom