1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Saff flower bird seed for hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hens rule, May 29, 2016.

1. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    With my chickens
    2 days ago the chicken food place was closed so we had to get bird seed for them so they aren't hungry all night. The bird seed bag contains sunflower seeds, Millet seeds and Saffflower. I'm not sure if there are other ingredients as well. As I was saying I gave it to them as a meal 2 days ago and the day after and the this morning as a snack so each of my hen's had a full crop and wasn't acting so crazy. I didn't give them enough seeds to fill the crops this morning. Mainly chicken food today.

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I would not feed bird seed to chickens. The sunflower seeds are fine but i,m not so sure about the millet seed and safflower. Birds have a different dietary need. Be careful feeding this to them. I would go with dry cat food before feeding them bird seed. Cat food has the protein they need.

3. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    With my chickens
    Thank you for your answer!
    Do you happen to know why my hen Yellowfeet has dry poo. It is pretty dry and brakes into small peices when she poos. Is she constipated or dehydrated?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by