SAGA of the nesting box!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunket77, Sep 1, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I have 4 nesting boxes with 10 pullets only 2 have begun to lay. My BR (Kami) and one of my Production Reds (DeeDee). We only got one egg yesterday from DeeDee (who has only skipped one day since she started) and Kami didn't lay. The problem is they are squabbling over ONE nesting box! [​IMG] This morning was sooo [​IMG] funny they argued back and forth and kept kicking each other out of the box. [​IMG] The end result was they BOTH ended up in there together and I guess DeeDee couldn't hold it anymore and just laid her egg with Kami sitting on her head! Then Kami took her egg and rolled it under herself while she got situated to lay her egg! It was to funny to watch!!!
    [​IMG]

But what am I going to do when all ten start to lay!? are they going to squabble over ONE nesting box? 3 of the four are plastic bins which is one of the favorites. The fourth one is one I got from a neighbor that is made of wood and not as private. [​IMG] Then again that doesn't seem to bother the 2 that are laying!

2. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    I have nest box with eight nests and they use two without fail and I bet a couple have never had a egg in them. I think I might try the fake egg or someone said golf balls in the nest. Today one was on the floor probably because the favorite nest was occupied by a RR that decided to go broody this week Ahhhh!!!!!!.

3. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    mine get in the others and move the nest around but won't lay in them. I even have one with a golf ball in it but they don't want to use that one. I guess I should be happy they are using the boxes at all!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Awwww, they learned how to share.

There's definitely a favorite box in my coop. (they are built all the same, so go figure)

5. MomOf15

MomOf15 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Mercer Co. PA
    Does anyone else feel ike they are dealing with children!?!? LOL!
    I have 6 hens and 6 boxes...I have no idea what they do in there cuz I work all day...the only egg we've gotten so far was found in the corner on the floor because DH hadn't put the boxes in yet even though I told him they were at 19 weeks and could start laying at any time [​IMG]

6. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    yes! children! They all have their own personalities!

7. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    mine play music nest boxes...they go into one...then another wants it...so the first one jumps out and goes to another, and then she doesnt like it, so she moves to another, and the one who wanted that nest box and got it, jumps off that one, to go to another...lol...

MUSICAL NEST BOXES....

8. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Yea, they are pretty funny. I've got 6 layers and 4 nesting boxes.
    They usually use just 2 of the boxes, lower right and upper left.
    However, there have been days when I will get 5 eggs in the lower right nest. So far, the girls seem to just take turns!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by