sagging feathers on an E.E.?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aubreynoramarie, Jul 23, 2010.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    my girl is 11 weeks old. i can see a teeny baby tiny comb on her, but its got no color and is barely visible. Gosh i wish i had a picture, but let paint a mental one instead, shall we?

has anyone else's easter egger pullets had feathers on thair tails that bend downwards? shes got pointy feathers on her neck...but pretty oval-ish on the rest of her body. just before her tail the feathers seem to push themselves out of the way, in a downward position, and then the tail. i just noticed today that two of her tail feathers sick out then point themselves straight down...curving, you know? ill have pictures next week (dont ask, its a silly story). i was just wondering if any one else had e.e. that had male-ish feathers but a female-ish comb and what it turned out to be...

2. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Yes I have 9 like that here are a few pics of mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the brown one is my hen the other is my roo
    [​IMG]

3. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    GREAT photos, very helpful. her feathers look like your last picture's hen ( but buff and white instead). its very confusing to me because these are my first chickens and she has absolutely NO comb or redness there-in. thanks for posting these! i feel a little bit better! (especially since shes my favorite!) do you know why easter eggers have such manly feathers?

4. cterbizan

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I am not an expert but it is probably just because of all the mixes of breeds.

5. cterbizan

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    And sorry, I forgot to add thank you and I am glad I could help. With the EEs, I currently have 11 I have been going by the saddle feathers instead of neck feathers. I also have a Wels, that does the same thing. Out of 11 EEs I have 4 roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by