Sagitta hen-Chronically huge crop

Aug 10, 2020
Several weeks ago we noticed our pullet sagitta was suffering from what appeared to be a badly impacted crop. There is no odor to indicate a yeast infection, but we have added an organic herbal yeast control to their daily water. We dramatically reduced her access to food and syringed her with coconut oil for a couple of days, while gently massaging her crop. We were happily able to get it to return to a healthy size for a couple of days, but very quickly, it blew back up again. We are not sure what to do now. We do not want to starve her, or have to syringe and massage constantly. But we also think her crop does not look healthy or comfortable. We have included probiotics, plenty of greens, bugs etc. in their diet.That said, we have isolated her and continue to restrict her access to food to try to get her crop to shrink. Our girls and their rooster do also have a large area to free range. Is it possible that this is normal for her?She is laying smaller pullet eggs, and seems to be pooping fine. Any insights would be very appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
20200810_183815.jpg
20200810_183815.jpg

Thanks. Hoping she can live with it.... sure seems awfully uncomfortable.
I had a hen with that once, she lived normally. I don't know the cause of it, she had been given to me that way. The only other noteworthy detail I can give is that she was an older hen, around 6 years old

Back
Top Bottom