Said goodbye to my drake today :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Susanjoans, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Susanjoans

Susanjoans Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    I sent My lovely Azula, who I raised from a day old hatchling, back out to live on his birth farm today.
    I suppose I bonded too much with him - once he hit mating season, he became aggressive, and would attack my guy, then began attacking me. I tried showing him we are alpha, I tried everything I read about on the net. No dice.
    I can't responsibly keep him in my neighborhood - I have children who live behind me, and he could really do some damage.
    I'm sad, and feel somehow like I did something wrong to cause this. When I left him today, he was happy - surrounded by many females, and clearly alpha when it came to the drake there. Many of them are his siblings.
    I've learned a great deal. I don't regret the time I had with him, when we cuddled and fell asleep together on the couch, or when he first learned to swim then would hop up on me to get dry and nap. But I was ignorant, and wouldn't do it the same again. I am not a duck. Ducks are not human. What makes them so fascinating to me, anyway, is their duckness.
    But he has part of my heart, and my heart hurts today.
    I still have our female, and as she also was a victim of Azula's aggression, I imagine she'll have more peace. I brought home a female friend for her - a beautiful blue. They will be able to get used to each other gradually.
    Just wanted to share.
    Thanks.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

3. mgubata

mgubata New Egg

Nov 13, 2011
    Awwwww...I'm sorry. Had a similar experience with a roo...and was afraid he would hurt my nephew. It's still tough when you bond with them. Glad you got you remaining duck a friend. Just getting ducks thsi year...and I can't wait because I LOVE my chickens! I'm sure your female will be happier now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by