1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Saint Johns Wort 300 mg. I REALLY WANT TO START TREATMENT ASAP. PLEASE HELP.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dandydoodle, Nov 4, 2013.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Is this right? I got Saint Johns Wort it is in capsule form 300 mg. Do I open the capsule and put the powder in one tablespoon of distilled water? How many drops do I give her and how long do I treat her.

Thanks so much

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its difficult to say whether it is right or wrong--St. John's Wort is not a widely used medication for Marek's, and the way it is used varies. Some people use it in pellet form, others (including me) have used it in powdered capsule form. I would just empty a capsule into about (don't need to be exact) 1 tablespoon of distilled water and get your bird to drink as much of the tablespoon as possible. Make sure that you don't use a metal tablespoon, as that will neutralize the SJW. You can't really overdose; if you do, the symptoms will get much worse, but drastic improvement is usually seen quickly after that.

Treat as long as you want. Improvement may be seen anytime from in a few hours to never. If the problem is neurological, though, there should be at least some improvement. Even once improvement is seen, you should continue treating for a while longer, as otherwise, the symptoms may reappear.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by