Saipan Jungle Fowl

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BJonTHEborder, Feb 15, 2013.

1. BJonTHEborder

BJonTHEborder Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    I just ordered Saipan chicks to arrive the end of April. Can anyone tell me their esperience with them. I'd like to know more about their personality & any special needs. I have read they need extra protien. I am in south west Nebraska. If I have good wind protection & a coop will they need heat in winter here?Any comments or advise welcome.

Thank you[​IMG]

2. Dean W

Dean W Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    I got some coming in today and they're chicks so I couldn't say. But I'd like to follow this thread.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  3. BJonTHEborder

Feb 15, 2013
    I know it will be a while before you will know, but please post later what type of fencig works fo you with your Saipans when they are grown. I have a large pen for my Jacob Sheep. I want to try lining it with chicken wire (it is made of combination panels) so mine have a large space. I've read they don't fly but they may still be able to jump to the top at mature height of 2-3'! LOL Will just have to see or maybe clip wings to keep in.
    P.S.Can you tell me what type of rooster is pictured in your profile pic? I got some as freebees last year. I'm not familliar with them.

4. Dean W

Dean W Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    Sounds like a plan to me...but make sure you only clip one wing not two. I was planning on letting mine free range. Just got them this morning and they are nosier than the Sumatras. They've been chirping away.

I didn't know what the rooster on my avatar was either. Some told me he's a red sex link which don't breed true.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  5. BJonTHEborder

Feb 15, 2013
    I have a report on my Seipans. They are about 6 months old now & really showing themselves to be "no ordinary chicken"! They are quite unique. They are still free ranging & getting along just fine with the other poultry. None are real pets but some are very docile while others are quite flighty so it seems I have wide rang of personalities. I had a dog go on a murdering spree & he got many of them as very young chicks.[​IMG] He isn't the least interested in them now! Thank goodness! I got so busy with life that it got away from me which ones were from Cackle & which ones from Ideal. Im pretty sure the lighter colored ones are all from Ideal though.I'm going to try to post a few pix here so wish me luck. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. BJonTHEborder

Feb 15, 2013
    [​IMG]

Lauravonsmurf likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by